Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
FACTDROP: Turkey seeks arrest of 174 Israelis in flotilla raid
Photobucket

10/15/2011

Turkey seeks arrest of 174 Israelis in flotilla raid


Πηγή: The Gulf Today
Oct 15 2011

ANKARA: A Turkish prosecutor is seeking the arrest of 174 Israelis allegedly involved in the naval commando raid that killed nine Turks on a ship carrying aid to the Gaza Strip last year, according to reports in the Turkish media.

Ties between the two former allies have deteriorated sharply since Israeli naval commandos raided a flotilla carrying aid to the Gaza Strip in defiance of the Israeli blockade of the areas in May 2010. Nine Turkish activists were killed during the raid.

Turkey has sought an apology from Israel, but the Jewish state refused.

CNN Turk said on its website Istanbul state prosecutor Mehmet Akif Ekinci had written to the justice ministry calling for the arrest of those who carried out the raid and those who ordered it.

Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Recip Erdogan has said he will seek to prosecute all Israelis responsible for crimes committed during the May 2010 raid on the Mavi Marmara.

The names of the Israeli commandos involved in the raid have not been released in the latest report. The prosecutor had previously written to Israel seeking the names of those involved but had received no answer.

Turkish-Israeli tensions have continued to escalate since then, with Erdogan saying last month Turkish warships could be sent to the Eastern Mediterranean at any time and Israel could not do whatever it wants there.

Turkey downgraded diplomatic ties with Israel and halted defence trade after the Jewish state confirmed last month it would not apologise for the Mavi Marmara raid.

The list of the wanted Israelis is headed by former chief of staff Gabi Ashkenazi and former commanders Eliezer Marom and Amos Yadlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment